Pages

Monday, December 19, 2016

Review: Miss Child Has Gone Wild! (My Weirder School #1) by Dan Gutman, Jim Paillot (Illustrator)

11267008Title: Miss Child Has Gone Wild (My Weirder School #1)
Author: Dan Gutman
Illustrator: Jim Paillot
Published: June 21, 2011
Publisher: Harper Collins
Pages: 117 (print)
Genre: Children ages 7 on up
Review: ebook from library
Buy Links: Amazon, Amazon.uk 




My Weirder School weirder than ever
The third grade has won a weird contest, so they get to go on a field trip to the zoo. That's how they meet Miss Child, the weirdest zookeeper in the history of the world. She thinks animals are smarter than people She thinks elephants can paint pictures She keeps snakes in her pockets for fun Guess who's going to wind up in a cage with a lion?


So I saw this book on Overdrive and decided to check it out because of the title. I figured K would get a kick out of it.
Now the book seemed okay overall. Though it got a bit repetitive between A.J. going "blah,blah,blah" when an adult would talk. 
To when he met the new girl Alexia and she liked everything that he did. For example Alexia likes this, so do I. She likes that, so do I and so forth. 
Also I had an issue which is just me as a parent of the jealous that seemed to issue between two of the girls. Alexia and Andrea I mean you are in third grade and feel jealous? 
K thought the book was funny when they went to the school especially with the whole chapter of Brian the Lion scene came into play. 
I would gear this book toward maybe 10 years on and up, though I would suggest maybe parents read it first to see if the book is right for your child. 

We will be reading book 2 as I checked it out the same time as this one.




Dan Gutman
The author of over 80 books in a little over a decade of writing, Dan Gutman has written on topics from computers to baseball. Beginning his freelance career as a nonfiction author dealing mostly with sports for adults and young readers, Gutman has concentrated on juvenile fiction since 1995. His most popular titles include the time-travel sports book Honus and Me and its sequels, and a clutch of baseball books, including The Green Monster from Left Field. From hopeful and very youthful presidential candidates to stunt men, nothing is off limits in Gutman's fertile imagination. As he noted on his author Web site, since writing his first novel, They Came from Centerfield, in 1994, he has been hooked on fiction. "It was fun to write, kids loved it, and I discovered how incredibly rewarding it is to take a blank page and turn it into a WORLD."
Gutman was born in New York City in 1955, but moved to Newark, New Jersey the following year and spent his youth there.

No comments:

Post a Comment