Author: Donna M. McDine
Publisher: Guardian Angel Publishing
Published: Sept. 12, 2014
Genre: Children ages 8 on up
Review: ebook provided by Pump Up Your Book
Buy Links: Amazon, Amazon.uk
Peer Pressure and Honesty many times go hand-in-hand. What is Larry to do when his teammate asks him to cheat when he is given the responsibility to run the clock during the big hockey game? Outwardly, it may seem he will follow suit, but his conscious tells him otherwise at the moment of truth. Suggested age range for readers: 8-12
We received this book to give an honest review.
This is a really short book with a picture on every other page, which K seemed to enjoy. I thought there would be more of a mention of hockey as it was briefly mentioned and that was all. The lesson within this story and it was a good one for all to know is cheating is wrong no matter who ask you do it.
Larry seems to have a bad attitude and has had a hockey injury his coach decides to put him and another player from the other team in for clock duty. When Larry is asked to cheat by a teammate what will happen. Will Larry do what his friend ask and help his teammates out or will he do the right thing and not do it?
The reason I am giving this a four rating is because I would have liked to seen what Peter thought of Larry's decision. I am sure it would have made the book longer but I felt as though Peter asked Larry to do a certain thing his reaction would have been interesting to know.
I think kids from the ages 8 on up will enjoy the book it is short and to the point so it doesn't drag on.
Multi award-winning children’s author, Donna McDine’s creative side had laid dormant for many years until her desire to write sparked in 2007. With several early reader children’s picture books to her credit:
• A Sandy Grave (Purple Dragonfly 2014 Award First Place Picture Books 6+, Story Monster Approved and Beach Book Festival Honorable Mention 2014);
• Powder Monkey (Purple Dragonfly 2015 Award First Place Historical Fiction and Story Monster Approved 2014);
• Hockey Agony (Purple Dragonfly 2015 Award Honorable Mention Picture Books 6 & Older and New England Book Festival Honorable Mention 2014 and Story Monster Approved 2014);
• The Golden Pathway (Literary Classics Silver Award & Seal of Approval Recipient Picture Book Early Reader 2011 and Readers Favorite 2012 International Book Awards Honorable Mention) and;
• Dee and Deb, Off They Go - Kindergarten First Day Jitters (December 2015) all with Guardian Angel Publishing.
McDine’s adventures continue as she ignites the curiosity of children through reading while she writes and moms from her home in the historical hamlet Tappan, NY. McDine is a member of the SCBWI, New York State Reading Association and Family Reading Partnership.